Monday, April 12, 2010

241/365


My ear. It's completly blocked like I've been on an airplane and it won't pop. Apprently I have what is called "glue ear", which is a prefect name for it because it feels and sounds like someone has dropped a few drops of super glue in my ear. What it actually is is a build up a fluid in the inner ear caused by the ear infection I just had.
Here's the story: The cause is probably due to the Eustachian tube not working properly. The balance of fluid and air in the middle ear may become altered if the Eustachian tube is narrow, blocked, or does not open properly. Air in the middle ear may gradually pass into the nearby cells if it is not replaced by air coming up the Eustachian tube. A vacuum may then develop in the middle ear. This may cause fluid to seep into the middle ear from the nearby cells.

Lovely. And even worse, there is nothing that can be done about it - you just have to let the fluid drain, which usually takes 3 weeks. Blech.

No comments:

Post a Comment