You can meet a million people, even make some friends, but I think I have learned the hardest thing about moving to an entirely new place is finding people to really trust and/or rely on if you need them. Back home, I have at least three people I trust implicitly with anything and a handful more I know will always help/support me if they can. Here, even though I have David around most of the time, I do find myself feeling lonely and I think this is why. It's one thing to spend time with acquaintances (people at work, David's friends, etc) or even those you consider friends, but another thing entirely to spend time with people who you know actually care about, respect and value you. Without that type of social interaction, I argue that a person will always be lonely - even if they have hundreds of "emptier" relationships or are consistantly surrounded by acquaintances.
Finding "friends" and people to simply join for a drink is hard enough, but finding and building these special relationships seems downright daunting and defintely reason to feel discouraged...
{{{{HUG}}}}
ReplyDelete