So, I didnt get the job at Make-A-Wish. Now that I dont have to worry about jinxing anything, I can say that I aced that interview. I was awesome. Period. And they agreed.... They said I was the best candidate, but didnt have knowledge of UK charity laws. She said that in 6 months, I would be the perfect person for the job, but they cant "take a chance" right now. Translated: it has less to do with UK charity laws than it does with the fact that I dont drive. Of course - the thing I am THE most afraid of. I caught myself thinking "back home I would have that job hands down", and am trying not to focus on that, eventhough it is the absolute truth. Oh and just to jab you in the heart, the words they seem to use over here when they tell you you werent chosen is "I'm sorry, but you were not successful". Ouch.
But onward and upwards as they say (at least I think someone says that), I bought the huge book that covers all the questions you may be asked on the Theory Test and I guess I am going to have to get behind the wheel sooner rather than later. Yay?
What I learned today: A crumpet (see exhibit A below) is kind of like an English muffin, but doughy and soft. Almost like an undercooked English muffin, but really good with butter and jam. Word to the wise: don't try to cut them in half, you'll just make a mess and ruin it.
"We decided to go in another direction" is much easier on the ego I think! Do you toast the crumpets like english muffins?
ReplyDeleteCrumpets are better than english muffins (aka breakfast muffins in the UK), but they can't be used for similar purposes. For example, you can't make an egg and sausage sandwich with crumpets. They're just too think and like you said, you don't cut them in half. I've only ever seen them with butter and jam, and the truly British way...with Marmite. Go on...I dare ya!
ReplyDeleteMmmm... I love crumpets! Never buy the shop brand kind, though - they're too thin and not spongy enough. Stick to Warburton's or homemade!
ReplyDeleteThis is SO funny.. check out my Day 232:
ReplyDeletehttp://ukchristine.blogspot.com/2009/05/232365-crumpet-vs-english-muffin.html
I wouldn't suggest buying what they call 'English Muffins' over here. More like hard hamburger buns if you ask me.
Remember that you do not have to take your Theory right away. You are leagelly allowed to drive on your US License in the UK for the first 12 months from the date you arrived as a resident. You just need to ask your DH to get you added to the insurance and nothing else is needed to be done.
Sometime during that 12 months you must apply for a provisional license, take the Theory Test and the Practical Driving Tests. If you have not done this during the first 12 months than you can no longer simply drive on your US License and you would have to use your provisional like everybody else while you have somebody in the car with L plates on.
xx
I want a crumpet!! Yum!
ReplyDeleteYes, you do toast crumpets and they are lovely! I will try to send some home soon :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Christine - I am trying to remain calm about the whole driving issue as it seems to be the biggest of my worries at the mo. How did you try it the first time!?
I didn't drive for a long time but when I did I just went for it. Drove down some back area for about 20 minutes then went right out into the main roads. Just jump in it's okay! :)
ReplyDeleteIf you are looking for what an american would know as an 'english muffin', they seem to be called 'white muffins' or 'all butter muffins', depending which supermarket you buy them in. I should add that im in Scotland, so it may be different south of the border.
ReplyDelete