I know I cant be the only one who finds that when cities are "Upon-Thames" or upon something else, their charm value goes through the roof, but sadly, even when a town is Something-upon-Something, no one actually calls it that. At least thats the case with Kingston upon Thames - its just Kingston (the namesake for Gavin Rossdale and Gwen Stefani's child, I am sure).
Regardless of the modernization of the name, the town is very charming. I went there today (took the train all by myself!) for a meeting with a company that specialized in charity recruitment/employment. Sadly, they were less than charming and failed to give me an hope that they would be the answer to my job search. They did say they would pass on my CV (resume) to the World Wildlife Federation who are looking for a 6-week temporary position, so we'll see how that pans out.
I stumbled across this "art" in Kingston, and then noticed that Kingston's Wikipedia entry has almost the same exact photo!
What I learned today: I love pasties! That's pasty (pronounced "paa" like Pat), not pastie like strippers put on their nipples. A pasty is a bunch of goodness (mine was cheese, thinly sliced potato, onions and mushroom) put in a nice pastry case. (What is a pastry case really called??) And yes, I really did sit there in a busy square and photograph my pasty. Check it out. 

No comments:
Post a Comment