Wednesday, August 19, 2009

6/365: The Joy of Fountains



I have perhaps mentioned to most of you before (because I think its the strangest thing), something very odd happens when the sun shines and/or it is not raining: Brits run outside and find something, anything to do in case the sun never shines again. I took this picture in a square/park in Manchester at about 11am when it was partly cloud and the temperature (I checked on my phone) was 73 degrees.
Now, I have seen many a child run around in public fountains when its about 90 degrees and the sun is making it uncomfortable to be outside, but never on a day like this.

The children were either dressed in swimsuits or stripped down to their underwear, while some of their caretakers didn't even bother....



What I learned today: Apparently most or all of British credit cards have a little chip in them and the terminals which Americans usually slide the card through is set up to have the card inserted and the chip read. I was not surprised when I recieved a deep sigh from a cashier when I asked her to take my regular non-chipped card.

2 comments:

  1. I used to hate that about cards when I would be here to visit Matt during the summer. They would look at me all alien when I would hand over my "American" debit card and I would have to slowly instruct them to SLIDE it through their machine. They would always say, "I don't know if we can take this." Sheesh! What is a tourist to do?!

    ReplyDelete